The British Bee Keeping Association [BBKA] has a range of training opportunities, however RBKA also runs a course each year which provides a solid introduction to beekeeping.
Beekeeping For Beginners 2018
The course – An Introduction to Beekeeping – for anyone who thinks they might be interested in keeping bees
The course is based around the BBKA Course in a Case and has been developed further over the last few years to incorporate the latest developments in beekeeping. It includes practical and outdoor work for those who wish to do it. Next year’s course is now open for bookings.
The Course comprises:
- 6 indoor sessions held in Oswaldkirk Village Hall (YO62 5XZ) from 7- 9pm on Wednesdays February 28th, March 7th, 14th 22nd, 28th, and Thursday March 29th
- An Outdoor open-hive session will be arranged at the last indoor session
- In addition participants are invited to attend all/any of RBKA’s 2018 indoor and outdoor meetings
- The tutor will be Dr Rhona Sutherland with assistance from other Ryedale beekeepers
- Price will be £40.00, including refreshments at the indoor sessions
Places are limited to fifteen and will be allocated on a first come first served basis.
Session 1 Introduction to Bees Origin and variety of Honeybees and other bees – The Colony – Anatomy and life cycle
Session 2 The Hive and Beekeeping equipment History of Beekeeping – Structure of modern hives – Beekeeping Equipment
Session 3 The Beekeeping Year Changes in the Colony through the year – Colony management and record keeping – Swarming and its control
Session 4 Pests and diseases Healthy Bees . Possible Pests – Brood diseases – Chalk brood, Foul Broods – Adult bee
diseases – Nosema, Acarine and Varroa – Possible future pests – Small hive beetle and Asiatic Hornet
Session 5 Hive products Sources of Pollen and Nectar – Honey Extraction – Microscopic observation of bees and
Session 6 Practical session Making up frames – Lighting smokers – Tasting honey – Next Steps – Organising Apiary sessions. Discussing sources of equipment, help and information